Monday, November 2, 2009

Week 1: Vanishing Acts- Jodi Picoult


I've never written a book review before and hope that I can get these 52 done properly. My first book was one with issues..with a capital I. Although I think my favorite sentence in this entire book, is also the first. To me it sets the mood for the book and reflects on so many things through out.

"I was six years old the first time I disappeared."

Cordelia (Delia) Hopkins is a 32 year old woman that does search and rescue with her bloodhound Greta. Her searches are almost always successful and tend to get her written up in the newspaper and online. Raised by her widowed father Andrew, Delia had a happy childhood and had vague memories of her mother, who as she was told, died in a car accident. She remembered her smelling of "apples and vanilla". They lived alone in Wexton, New Hampshire for as long as she could remember. Her father worked in and later ran a retirement facility and was a town councilman.

Her two neighbors growing up became her best friends and continue to be even after all of these years. Eric Talcott, her fiance, is the father of her pre-school daughter, Sophie, and Fitzwilliam MacMurray, (Fitz), formed the other part of their inseparable trio. Eric is now a lawyer, and Fitz a journalist. After talking with Fitz about things that are "Strange but True" Fitz mentions how Delia is extremely afraid of spiders, and says that maybe she was "Little Miss Muffet in a former life". She then tells him about a memory she has about a lemon tree, one she has never remembered before this. This single conversation ends up turning all of their worlds upside down.

"Vanishing Acts" is written in first person by Delia, Andrew, Eric, and Fitz. Each point of view offers insight into the story you wouldn't have gotten if it was written differently. I found for myself, it took me about three days to read about 50 some pages. I just wasn't getting into it. Not in the mood for the kind of book this is, One that makes you think. After sitting down and reading a few more chapters I finally got into it and finished it in one day. I would say if your a fan of hers and haven't read this yet..Definitely do so, and if your not a fan or have never read her stuff, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment